CHEN Chu-Shui was born in Kaohsiung in 1942. He became interested in music during high school and studied violin with ZHENG You-Zhong. In 1962 he was admitted to the National School of Arts (now known as National Taiwan University of Arts), majoring in violin performance and studying with MA Xi-Cheng. During this time, he also studied composition with HSU Tsang-Houei. After graduation, he joined the “Musicking Club” founded by HSU Tsang-Houei. He married his college classmate LIU Fu-Mei in 1967 and moved to Kaohsiung. Beginning in 1970 he taught string performance in the music department of the Private Tainan Junior College of Home Economics (now known as Tainan University of Technology) and then become the head of the music department. When teaching at the college, CHEN did not stop composing. Together with other scholars and artists in the Kaohsiung area, he founded the “Hanyue (Cold Moon) Club” in 1974. The club regularly held concerts in order to establish musical culture and education in Kaohsiung. CHEN’s compositions have been performed in concerts held by the Asian Composer League of Taiwan. He died in 1986 at the age of forty-four due to lymphoma.